Sport House System
Islamia College is an ideal institution to introduce the House System given its cultural diversity yet sharing a common belief. An important factor in structural behaviour components is the adherence and obeisance to set rules or regulations which are not secondary to academic performance, but equally significant
Some Background on House Systems
- House systems are the school levels counterparts of collegiate in Universities.
- The House systems create small cross sectional communities within a larger institution.
- House systems create the opportunity for students to be known by one another, so the full benefits if diversity can be realised.
- House Systems create in school a sense of belonging through the vertical integration of age cohorts.
- This allows older teenagers to mentor younger students and implement preventative and curative measures.
- House Systems, when adopting the ethos of the school in outreach to the indigent,strengthens the school community which in turn can alleviate the plight of the disadvantage.
Advantages of House Systems
- Creates easy ways to implement extramural activities.
- It stimulates interest and involvement and developed skills such as debating, sport and other activities.
- By expecting participation from all children you create a sense of belonging.
- It can eliminate a climate of failure by giving children more say in the running of the school
General Objectives of the House System
- To provide a smooth transition from home life to school life for all students
- To use the school situation so that children’s social and emotional needs are fulfilled
- To enable students to integrate themselves well into the corporate life of the school
- To enable students to prepare themselves for playing a different role as members
of a group, community on society
- To inculcate a sense of responsibility and accountability
- To take ones task and duties in life earnestly and discharge them to the best of one’s ability
- To help student develop their personality and integrity
- To develop the spirit of healthy competition amongst students
- To inculcate into students the qualities of:
– Self dignity and Self Confidence
– Respect for the views and opinions of others
– Making informed decisions on problems and issues faced by them
- To benefit from righteous examples and to set good examples
- To enhance respect for seniors, elders, teachers and supervisors
- To foster a caring attitude towards juniors and the fraternity(house) as a whole